Sunday, October 17, 2010

Feeding Update

I blogged previously about offering half apples to the birds in winter. I have noticed that as spring has turned to summer and food is more plentiful, there are fewer and fewer visitors to the feeding station. In fact I have had an apple untouched the whole weekend! Although this guy did come down to have a look he did not touch the food!


I have however converted an empty coke bottle into a seed dispenser, this is very popular with the cape sparrows and weavers, and has even attracted some of the previously rare visitors, such as this Red Bishop:


It has also attracted some unknowns. I initially thought this might be a juvenile Cape or House sparrow, but it is somewhat larger and has a slightly different shape to these. Perhaps a Southern Grey-Headed Sparrow? Can anyone provide an ID?


*Update. Thanks to the folks over at simplybirding for comfirming the ID as a Southern Grey-Headed Sparrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment