Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dikkop & Fiscal Shrike

I popped up the road to a vacant lot to try and get a quick snap of the Dikkop's (Spotted Thick-knee's) that hang out there. Dikkops are nocturnal and I often see them flash across my headlights when coming home late a night, but they huddle inconspicuously under a shady tree during the day - so they tend to go unnoticed. This guy was still half asleep judging by his drooping eyelids and was not too pleased to be woken:



On the way to the lot I also managed to get a snap of a pair of Fiscal Shrike's. Although these ferocious predators (for their size) are extremely common i have always had a soft spot for them because i raised one from a chick as a child, so always happy to see them doing well in the area. Unfortunately they do not often visit my garden because the resident pair of Indian Myna's hound them mercilessly if they intrude:

No comments:

Post a Comment